The Department of Labor enforces the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA), which sets basic minimum wage and overtime pay standards. These standards are enforced by the Department’s Wage and Hour Division.
- Current Minimum Wage: $7.25 per hour
- Applies to workers covered by the FLSA
- Effective as of July 24, 2009
- Overtime Pay: Not less than one and one-half times regular rate of pay
- Required after 40 hours of work in a workweek.
- Certain exemptions apply to specific types of businesses or specific types of work.
- Minimum Wage by State (Interactive map)