Saving Blue Lives
The Illinois Public Pension Fund Association (IPPFA) and Northern Illinois University (NIU) have teamed up to help active and retired police officers, fire/ems and 9-1-1 operators to expand their knowledge of Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder. This program, “Saving Blue Lives through Training on PTSD, Suicide, Resilience and Peer Support,” is offered at no cost to those attending.
The no-cost NIU – IPPFA seminar includes:
- Learning the symptoms of PTSD
- Conditions that often arise with PTSD, such as depression and substance abuse
- Identifying ways to bolster resistance
- Suicide and conditions such as PTSD
- Methods for dealing with PTSD without the help of a mental health professional
- Effective treatments with the help of a mental health professional
NIU has received a grant from the Illinois Criminal Justice Information Authority to underwrite this program. The seminars are conducted by a qualified mental healthcare professional, along with the assistance of experienced sworn personnel with substantial careers in emergency response.
Because of the need for social distancing during the Covid-19 situation, the program for 2021 will continue to be presented in a virtual format online.
March 22 & 23
April 5 & 6
May 17 & 18
June 14 & 15